Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Postcard from Big Sur


Dear Arthur -
Hello from Big Sur! I know I didn't tell you I was going on vacation two weeks ago, but I had a feeling you'd get more bummed out if you knew in advance and had time to sulk around. Don't be mad - I'll bring you back a T-shirt or something.

I was on the lovely California coast last week where I saw some zebras. That's right. Supposedly, these grazers are descendants of the ones kept by newspaper mogul William Randolph Hearst in the 1920s and 30s as part of the zoo he maintained on the grounds of his monstrous estate (better known as Hearst Castle), and if you're lucky, you can see them mowing down the grass on the hills next to Highway One.

They were very beautiful and I think you would have liked them.

I'll be home soon. Please try to keep your muddy paws off my bed.

Love,
The dogsitter

No comments: