Sunday, August 19, 2007

What Did You Call Me


I recently came across a list of the top 10 dog names in New York City, compiled by the NYC Health Department in 2005 based on dog-licensing statistics and released the following year. I was kind of surprised by the results:
1. Max
2. Lucky
3. Princess
4. Rocky
5. Buddy
6. Coco
7. Daisy
8. Lucy
9. Lady
10. Shadow
Apparently, Max wins every year. (I do know a Max - a small, feisty, Greenie-obsessed beagle who lives in Malibu.)

What was more surprising was that the most popular dog breed in New York City in 2005 was the mutt, beating out the ever-popular, AKC-list-topping labrador retriever:
1. Mixed
2. Labrador retriever
3. Pit bull
4. Shih Tzu
5. German shepherd
6. Yorkshire terrier
7. Chihuahua
8. Poodle
9. Maltese
10. Cocker spaniel
I tried to make a list of some of my favorite dog names, and here's what I came up with (in no particular order):
1. Arthur (of course)
2. Rufus
3. Maggie
4. Tim
5. Sam
6. Henry
7. Pete
8. Stella
9. Mike
10. Joe
Apparently, I'm particular to the early 20th-century working class and dead kings.

No comments: