Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Parlez Your Own Langue


I recently came across the website of a guy named Derek Abbott, who happens to be the director of the Centre of Biomedical Engineering at the University of Adelaide in Australia, but more importantly (for this post, anyway), is also the guy who compiled a list of various animal sounds according to the country they live in.

Which, in case you were wondering, is of great comfort to me since I have often asked people of various nationalities how their dogs bark in their native language, and they all looked at me like I was insane. CAN YOU IMAGINE?

However, let us not be so ethnocentric to assume that all dogs go "bark bark." In Japan, for instance, dogs say, "wan wan," and in France, "ouah ouah".


Global village, indeed.

Derek Abbott's Animal Noise Page via notcot.org

No comments: