Thursday, February 12, 2009

Snackin Spree


Arthur's motto is: IF IT'S SHAPED LIKE A CRACKER, I WILL EAT IT and 99.999% of the time, I would say that that's true. If you open a bag and offer him a biscuit, he won't even smell it first – just takes it right between the gums, no questions asked. So buying new treats for him is always fun – your money is never wasted.

Still, I don't want to buy him crappy snacks. I went to The Healthy Spot, that glass-box-of-a-pet-store on Wilshire in Santa Monica and discovered that although they have a terrific selection of natural snacks by independent small-batch producers (meaning, not churned out by a scary corporate conglomerate), most of the biscuit-y stuff had either salt or some kind of sweetener in it, which I try to avoid. We also tend not to give Arthur jerky-type treats because sometimes he's not the best chewer, and it can be scary watching him try to gag those down.


I did find two products that I'd never seen before and had nice ingredients, and they both turned out to be pretty great:
  • Raw Dog action snacks by Miss Mags – 100% raw, dehydrated, all-organic veggie squares; and
  • Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunch – freeze-dried, free-range chicken nuggets
Dee-licious.


The raw snacks look like broken-up granola bars and are nicely crunchy (unlike the granola bars of my childhood which were so hard they were like gnawing on a tree branch). They're also deliciously garlic-y smelling. The nuggets are not that crunchy and are a little too small (two chomps and they're gone), but very meaty. Arthur really likes them both.



I had to eat toast for lunch for a few days after that shopping spree, but it was totally worth it.

Raw Dog Action Snacks
Stella and Chewy's Carnivore Crunch

No comments: