Thursday, July 02, 2009

Southeast Asian Special, Part III - Dogs in the Cities

At the Laos/China border

When I refer to "cities" in Laos, I mean large-ish places with paved roads, reasonably reliable electricity, consumerism and AC. You'll find both the high and low ends of that definition, the low being a place like Muang Sing that once hosted the largest opium market in Southeast Asia, but is now basically one street of shops; and UNESCO World Heritage site Luang Prabang on the high end with its riverside restaurants, resort hotels and colonial French architecture.

In the larger towns I also saw many more breeds of dog – more commerce brings more variety, I suppose – and some were even on leads. The majority, however, were roaming free. It's the Lao way.

in Luang Prabang

Luang Prabang

The only dog in all of Laos that I saw chained to a tree. I think he was naughty.

Muang Sing

Siem Reap, Cambodia

monks' dog at Wat Xieng Muan, Luang Prabang

Udom Xai

No comments: