Monday, February 26, 2007

Today's Rescue - Mel


I've been fascinated with border collies since I saw the movie Babe in 1995 - it was the first time I'd seen working dogs in action. (Our family shih tzu "in action" meant barking at nothing and refusing to fetch.) The whole concept of dogs off leash performing a task was extraordinary to me. Sometimes I think Arthur might like a task, although I suspect he might like lying around on his bed even better.

Anyway, this border collie's name is Mel and he's been redlisted at the South L.A. shelter. Mel is very, very sad. I don't think I've seen a more soulful look on a dog's face before. A woman named Rita (who took these pictures and has made a plea on his behalf) put her name on him as a temporary stay of execution, but being that Mel is shy and doesn't present himself to passersby, he's going to need help getting adopted.

The thing is, Mel seems to be a really good dog: He doesn't bark, defers to his kennel mates, and isn't afraid to come forward with a little cajoling - he'll wag his fluffy tail for you if you ask him. I think he's one of those dogs that gets lost in the shuffle because he doesn't scream "Adopt Me!" every time someone walks by. He needs a rescuer that can recognize his lovely qualities and make him feel loved.

He needs to be saved!

MEL the BORDER COLLIE/CHOW
5 years old
ID#: A853950

South L.A. shelter
3612 11th Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90018

To adopt Mel, call L.A. Animal Services at 888.452.7381 or go to www.laanimalservices.com for more information.

No comments: