Monday, July 09, 2007

No Pulitzers Here


The hotly debated Healthy Pets Act (AB 1634, otherwise known as the spay/neuter bill) is attempting to pass through the state senate in Sacramento this Wednesday, and it is going to be close. One or two votes close, if it's anything like the state Assembly hearing last month.

Although I am all for the idea of mandatory spay/neuter with allowances, I'll be the first to admit that the bill has problems, that it will be difficult to enforce, and that it won't miraculously fix shelter overcrowding. But I am also sick and tired of some of the crappy writing that dares to pose as journalism that has been been published against the bill recently, most notably, Judith Lewis' hardened-heart-on-her-sleeve, propaganda fluff piece in the current L.A. Weekly (where she calls all nonprofessional breeders people who "care so deeply about their dogs that they visit each home that acquires one." Give me an freakin break.)

If Ms. Lewis' article were a college journalism paper, any one of my professors would have given it a C-minus, at best.

If I want slanted reporting, I'll watch Fox News.

photo courtesy FDR Library

No comments: