Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hypocrites Suck


I discovered a great blog the other day about a woman in Brooklyn raising an adorable little puppy - it's funny and well written, has some great photography and interesting personal product reviews. She'd mentioned a few animal-shelter benefit events and had talked about how she was pro-rescue, so it was a BIG disappointment when she admitted that she'd gotten her dog from a breeder.

"There were many circumstances that have brought me to this point and I am very happy about it," she writes. "When pressed, I would actually still really encourage anyone else to adopt a stray or mixed breed from a shelter...but I had my reasons."

Her reason being, she wanted a purebred dog from a breeder.

It's the worst - people who go on about how there are great dogs at the shelters and how mutts are the best and how they're being put to sleep and need homes BLAH BLAH BLAH, but then turn around and buy from a breeder or a pet store. It's like those trendy greenies who say they're ALL FOR THE ENVIRONMENT! and SAVE THE PLANET! but drive gigantic SUVs and can't be bothered to buy a frickin compact fluorescent bulb or bring their own bags to the grocery store. But I digress.

If people want breeder-raised purebreds, that's their prerogative. But it drives me crazy when they want to have it both ways. Do not try to convince me how pro-rescue you are. Don't be a hypocrite. You've made your choice - LIVE WITH IT.

No comments: